As a result of meetings and discussions held in 1948, St Joseph’s Convent School was opened by the Most Rev. Archbishop Prendiville on the 19th March 1950.
The actual building built by the Davies family, was purchased by Fr Farrelly of Busselton for 400 pounds and transported to the Margaret River site.
Responsibility for the Parish of Margaret River was given over to Rev. Fr Sorahan.
Economically the district was struggling but the strong resolve and hard work of the Parents and Friends Association formed in 1950 raised money to purchase the necessary equipment and materials for the school.
For the first time, Catholic parents in the district had an opportunity to send their children to a convent school in their own area. The convent meant that a priest came to stay in Margaret River looked after by the Sisters of St Joseph who were teaching in the school.
The school catered for infants through to students studying for their “Junior Certificate.”
The school had an enrolment of up to eighty students with music, typing and shorthand included in the curriculum offered.
The school operated successfully until its closure in 1970. It wasn’t until the 28th March 1993 that the new school, named St Thomas More Catholic Primary School, was opened by Catholic Education Director, Mrs Therese Temby and blessed by the Bishop of Bunbury, the Most Rev. Peter Quinn.
The foundation Principal was Sr Kathleen Hitchcock who began operations with an intake of students from Pre-Primary through to Year Five.
Stage Two was officially opened and blessed on the 27th May 1995 and Stage Three on the 23rd October 1998. The school has been operating as a co-educational, single-stream facility ever since with an expanded curriculum offering the specialist areas of Indonesian, Visual Art, Physical Education and Music.
The school has a large oval with cricket nets and tiered seating, a Market Garden and chicken pen, numerous play areas, including a Nature-playground and a basketball/netball court. Within the school complex are two large undercover areas and a separate play area for the Kindergarten and Pre-Primary students.
St Thomas More, Margaret River
For the first time, Catholic parents in the district had an opportunity to send their children to a convent school in their own area.